Moneris Solutions is committed to excellence in serving all customers including people with disabilities. This policy is intended to meet the requirements of applicable legislation including the Accessibility Standards for Customer Service, Ontario Regulation 429/07 under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005.
All goods, services and interactions provided by Moneris Solutions shall follow the principles of dignity, independence, integration and equal opportunity.
Employees should read and understand this Policy thoroughly. Each employee is responsible for familiarizing himself or herself with this Policy and any employee who fails to meet the standards established in the Policy will be subject to corrective action, which may include immediate or eventual dismissal. It is also important to understand that a violation of certain provisions of this Policy may also be a violation of law and subject to civil liability.
- This policy is intended to apply to the provision of goods and services, not to the goods themselves.
- This policy applies to the provision of goods and services operated by Moneris Solutions.
- This policy applies to every person at Moneris Solutions (including employees, volunteers, agents and/or contractors or other third parties that act on behalf of Moneris Solutions) who deal with Canadian customers, third parties or the public.
- The section of this policy that addresses the use of guide dogs, service animals and service dogs only applies to the provision of goods and services that take place at premises owned and operated by Moneris Solutions.
- This policy shall also apply to all persons who participate in the development of Moneris Solutions’ policies, practices and procedures governing the provision of goods and services to Canadian customers, third parties or the public.
Assistive Device – is a technical aid, communication device or other instrument that is used to maintain or improve the functional abilities of people with disabilities. Personal assistive devices are typically devices that assist in hearing, seeing, communicating, moving, breathing, remembering and/or reading.
Disability – the term disability refers to:
- any degree of physical disability, infirmity, malformation or disfigurement that is caused by bodily injury, birth defect or illness and, without limiting the generality of the foregoing, includes diabetes mellitus, epilepsy, a brain injury, any degree of paralysis, amputation, lack of physical co-ordination, blindness or visual impediment, deafness or hearing impediment, muteness or speech impediment, or physical reliance on a guide dog or other animal or on a wheelchair or other remedial appliance or device;
- a condition of mental impairment or a developmental disability;
- a learning disability, or dysfunction in one or more of the processes involved in understanding or using symbols or spoken language;
- a mental disorder; or
- any other disability as is recognized by applicable legislation
Service Animal - means a service animal for a person with a disability if:
- it is readily apparent that the animal is used by the person for reasons relating to his or her disability; or
- if the person provides a letter from a physician or nurse confirming that the person requires the animal for reasons relating to the disability.
The Provision of Goods and Services to Persons with Disabilities
Moneris Solutions will use reasonable efforts to ensure that its policies, practices and procedures are consistent with the principles of dignity, independence, integration and equal opportunity by:
- ensuring that all customers receive the same value and quality;
- allowing customers with disabilities to do things in their own ways, at their own pace when accessing goods and services as long as this does not present a safety risk;
- using alternative methods when possible to ensure that customers with disabilities have access to the same services, in the same place and in a similar manner;
- taking into account individual needs when providing goods and services; and
- communicating in a manner that takes into account the customer's disability.
Persons with disabilities may use their own assistive devices as required when accessing goods or services provided by Moneris Solutions. In cases where the assistive device presents a safety concern or where accessibility might be an issue, other reasonable measures will be used to ensure the access of goods and services.
A customer with a disability that is accompanied by service animal will be allowed access to premises that are open to the public unless otherwise excluded by law. “No pet” policies do not apply to service animals.
The customer that is accompanied by a service animal is responsible for maintaining care and control of the animal at all times.
If the use of a service animal is a health and safety concern, for example in the form of a severe allergy to the animal, or if the service animal is otherwise excluded by law, Moneris Solutions will use reasonable efforts to meet the needs of all individuals. When possible, Moneris Solutions will offer alternative methods to enable the person with a disability to obtain, use or benefit from the goods or services, for example, securing the animal in a safe location and offering the guidance of an employee.
If a customer with a disability is accompanied by a support person, Moneris Solutions will ensure that both persons are allowed to enter the premises together and that the customer is not prevented from having access to the support person.
In situations where confidential information might be discussed in the presence of a support person, the customer’s consent will be obtained prior to any conversation where confidential information might be discussed.
Notice of Disruptions in Service
Service disruptions may occur due to reasons that may or may not be within the control or knowledge of Moneris Solutions. In the event of any temporary disruptions to facilities or services that customers with disabilities rely on to access or use Moneris Solutions' goods or services, reasonable efforts will be made to provide advance notice. In some circumstances such as in the situation of unplanned temporary disruptions, advance notice may not be possible.
Notice of the disruption will include the following information unless it is not readily available or known:
- goods or services that are disrupted or unavailable
- reason for the disruption
- anticipated duration
- a description of alternative services or options
When disruptions occur Moneris Solutions will provide notice by:
- contacting customers with appointments and/or as they are making appointments;
- notifying customers when they are contacting Moneris Solutions; or
- by any other method that may be reasonable under the circumstances.
Moneris Solutions shall provide customers with the opportunity to provide feedback on the goods or services provided to customers with disabilities.
Feedback can be submitted to Moneris Solutions:
Training will be provided to:
- every person at Moneris Solutions (including employees, volunteers, agents and/or contractors or other third parties that act on behalf of Moneris Solutions) who deal with Canadian customers, third parties or the public; and
- those who are involved in the development and approval of Moneris Solutions’ policies, practices and procedures governing the provision of goods and services to Canadian customers, third parties or the public.
Regardless of the format, training will cover the following:
- A review of the purpose of applicable legislation, including the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005.
- A review of the requirements of the Accessibility Standards for Customer Service, Ontario Regulation 429/07.
- Instructions on how to interact and communicate with people with various types of disability.
- Instructions on how to interact with people with disabilities who:
- use assistive devices;
- require the assistance of a guide dog or other service animal; or
- require the use of a support person
- Instructions on how to use equipment or devices that are available at our premises or that Moneris Solutions provides that may help with the provision of goods or services to a person with a disability.
- Instructions on what to do if a person with a disability is having difficulty accessing the services of Moneris Solutions.
- A review of Moneris Solution's policies, procedures and practices pertaining to providing accessible customer service to customers with disabilities.
Training ScheduleMoneris Solutions will ensure training is provided to every person at Moneris Solutions (including employees, volunteers, agents and/or contractors or other third parties that act on behalf of Moneris Solutions) who deal with Canadian customers, third parties or the public. Revised training will be provided in the event of changes to legislation, procedures and/or practices.
Notice of Availability and Format of Documents
Customers may access documents related to the Accessibility Standard for Customer Service upon request and is accessible in a format that takes into account the customer's disability. Notification will be given by posting the information in a conspicuous place owned and operated by Moneris Solutions, Moneris Solutions’ website and/or any other reasonable method as is reasonable under the circumstances.